It is Panathenaic Stadium
located in Pangrati, Athens, Greece which has the credit of beginning the major sports events. This stadium is also known as Kallimarmaro
which means "beautifully marbled" as it is the only major stadium built entirely of white marble.
It was built in ca. 566 BC by wood seats which later remade by marble in 329 BC. The site was a simple racecourse by the Athenian statesman Lykourgos. The name is Panathenaic because in old times it was used to host Panathenaic Games of Greece in honour of the Greece Goddess Athena. The spectators sat on the natural slopes on the side of the ravine as the racecourse had no formal seating by then. The stadium probably had stone seating "only for a privileged few" according to Richard Ernest Wycherley. Poros limestone was used by Lykourgos to build a 850-foot (260 m) long stadium. The track was 669 feet long and 110 feet wide and tiers of benches made of stones were arranged around the track. In the late 4th century, the stadium was abandoned and fell into ruin after hellenistic festivals and bloody spectacles were banned by Roman Emperor Theodosius I.
Panathenaic Stadium at the first day of the 1896 Olympics
Katherine Welch described the stadium as a "great marble flight of steps terraced into the contours of a U-shaped ravine — splendid in materials but ostentatiously simple in construction technique."
The stadium is Renovated many a times like in:
1869- to host 1870 Olympic games. Following Greece's independence, uncovered traces of the stadium of Herodes Atticus were found in archaeological excavation as early as 1836. The Zappas Olympics were held at the stadium in 1870 and 1875 and an early attempt to revive the ancient Olympic Games were made. The games had an audience of 30,000 people and were sponsored by the Greek benefactor Evangelis Zappas.
1895 - to host 1896 Olympic games. The Greek government requested the Egypt-based Greek businessman George Averoff, through crown prince Constantine, to sponsor the second refurbishment of the stadium. Based on the findings of Ziller we found that a reconstruction plan was prepared by the architect Anastasios Metaxas in the mid-1890s. Darling writes that "He duplicated the dimensions and design of the second-century structure, arranging the tiers of seats around the U-shaped track." It is "distinguished by its high degree of fidelity to the ancient monument of Herodes." Pentelic marble was used to rebuilt it.
Currently owned by the Greek state, the stadium could seat about 45,000 spectators. Being one of the oldest stadiums in the world, Kallimarmaro Stadium hosted the archery competition, and Marathon for 2004 Olympic games. It is also shown on the obverse of all Olympic medals that have been awarded for the 2004 Olympics.